Thursday, September 23, 2010

Goodbye South Africa

Hello to whoever is reading this right now, just letting you know that this is my final update on the south african chapter of this blog as i have now left the country and am heading home via England and Malaysia.
What an awesome final month i had in Cape Town. Enjoyed time spent with amazing friends, perfected a Pasta recipe, encountered the South African big five (lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard/cheetah and rhino i think thats right dont quote me though), received so many thank you's and hugged everyone saying goodbye.

Will try and keep this update shortish.

I got into much more of a routine during my last month, which really helped give me more structure and purpose from my days. I really enjoyed going into the prison, spending time and coaching the guys in there. Had some awesome chats with the boys at Cape United and got to see them play some amazing football, the best U 19 side i have ever seen with some phenominal players. Finished up with U Turn and got to share more talks with the guys and girls at the soup kitchens which i found was a complete blessing to me and i hope in some way was to them as well. And last but not least went crazy on friday morning with out Play Ball team as we attempted to keep the 5/6 yr olds at heideveld primary entertained during our PE classes. All in all this made it much harder to leave, but its funny how my last month was probably my best, i guess you really appreciate things more when you know they aren't going to be there for much longer.

Ok 2 quick stories.
1. Was out i believe on a Saturday evening or at that time would have been very early sunday morning in cosy claremont when i came across Rushana and her boyfriend (cant believe forgot his name), a couple from the U-turn homeless soup kitchens that i had been helping out for a little while. I didnt actually get a chance to say goodbye to them during the week so it was definitely a praise God moment. They didnt only say goodbye though and chatted with me for at least an hour and a half thanking me for spending my time trying to help them and sharing talks with them and listening to them. I was blown away. They actually wanted to keep on talking forever so i had to tell them i needed to leave, but funny how a night out can end up and couldn't think of a better way really.

2. Went into the prison for the last time on a Thursday after running my final training seshion with them the day before. Was really sad to say goodbye to those guys and they granted me with a goodbye wish singing a song for me. Now this isn't just any ordinary song (well to be honest i dont rlly know what they were singing) but the sound they make wow, Deep african voices all in harmony makes hairs rise in all over your body. took a final picture with the statue of Mr Mandela out the front and bidded goodbye to Drakenstein prison, maybe not for the last time but for a little while at least.

So it has ended. What a sad goodbye it was, nevertheless it was always going to happen and im so thankful to everyone i met for the experiences i had and to God for getting me through all of it and just i guess blessing me with the opportunites i ended up having.

Goodbye Cape Town South Africa, we may meet again one day.

Have joined Dad to visit family in England and will be heading home via Malaysia, where ill hopefully be getting involved in a couple more exciting things and spending time with lots of mum's family there for the next 2 months.

Im Home on the 28th November, can't wait

Will be seeing everyone back home soon, when you can ask me as many questions as you like (if you want to of course)

Chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment